Sunday, March 21, 2010

4

Hello :)

So far my mentorship has been very exciting. In starting out my mentor and I discussed our goals. We will be working to record and produce an up and coming local artist (a high schooler like myself). In the end we will even shoot a music video for her.

But as far as learning goes, the first couple of weeks I was taken through the recording process of the church band. I learned many things about acoustics and recording just by watching the church band practices (microphone placement, gain and fading, mixing, mastering).
Recently I have been going to his house in order to work on drum loops for the local artist. His personal studio has very cool equipment (he actually let me hold a $2000+ microphone in trusting that I wouldn't drop it :P)
I have learned a lot of seemingly random but significant things from working with my mentor.
My individual project is still in the process of brainstorming, but my mentor has decided to let me borrow software and an audio interface in order to start recording on my own and to do assignments he gives me.

Also, he sold me his old Macbook for $400 :)

1 comment:

  1. Well, maybe learning the seemingly 'random' but significant things is the most important part of a mentorship. I wish you had been given the chance to record. At least you have learned a bit about the recording software.

    ReplyDelete